The list of symptoms associated with thyroid disease contains over 300 items. These symptoms present in varying degrees for different people, but despite the severity of the symptom, it’s still concerning.
We asked a group of individuals what they thought was their worst symptom. Here’s what they said.
- Weight gain. More specifically how easy it is to gain weight, but how difficult it is to lose it.
- Hair loss
- Brain fog and forgetfulness
- Extreme tiredness described as hitting a brick wall… all the time.
- Depression, feeling unhappy and sad
- Lack of energy or having to “ration” your energy.
- Carpal Tunnel
- An all-over achiness
- Feeling old before your time. “I’m 25 and I feel like I’m 50.”
- Having your doctor ignore your symptoms.
- Always feeling inadequate.
- Feeling like I’ve lost the person I was.
- Feeling like my body is giving up.
- Never feeling “myself”.
- All of it.
While some of these aren’t symptoms per se, they do show just how all-encompassing thyroid disease is.